Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Home sweet home

Last night was definitely the "homiest" night we've had so far. We closed 3 weeks ago today (how time flies!), but most of the time we've been in the house, we've spent it unpacking, cleaning, organizing, etc. It's been raining for 3 days straight, and yesterday was so raw and bitterly cold that I went to the supermarket to stock up on some essentials, and decided we were having a cozy night in. I bought Bar Harbor Clam Chowder (I had to stop myself from squealing whenever I saw the can on the shelf!) and a loaf of fresh, warm Italian bread, along with some other must-haves (you know-- baking soda, vanilla extract, waffles).

I got home right before Matt, lugged my groceries in through the rain and put a pot of Trader Joe coffee on to brew. He came home and I announced that we were having chowder for dinner, then making banana bread, then watching a movie and curling up on the couch. He didn't argue, not that I expected he would. But I thought for sure he would want to tackle some more household tasks. Turns out, we both needed a break from it all. So instead, we had a cozy night while it rained and stormed outside! The coffee warmed us up, the chowder was DELISH and reminded me so much of our honeymoon, and the banana bread made the whole house smell great while it baked. We watched Defiance, which was awesome, and then headed to bed without organizing a single pile of clothing or unpacking a single box of stuff.

I wouldn't say we've gotten totally comfortable with this house being "home" yet, but last night definitely helped :)

No comments:

Post a Comment